[RC5] FAQ rough draft (was: Client Documentation)

Cedric Tefft cedric at earthling.net
Wed Jan 21 01:47:50 EST 1998

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> Ok, well, I'm not gonna wait to hear back from Bovine on this so I'll
> just use my unofficial authority as the unofficial volunteer
> coordinator
> to announce this... :)
>
> I'd like to get some volunteers for doing some documentation for the
> clients. Documentation that any half-wit could read and understand, so
> it would have to include some info on what d.net is, etc. It should
> give
> step-by-step instructions for setting up the clients.
>
> I think that it would probably be best if there was one person who was
> in charge of the documentation effort, and several other people to
> help
> out, especially with documenting differences between different
> versions
> (ie: the special -install and -uninstall commands for the WinNT
> service
> and the Win95 Hidden clients).
>
> So, if you'd like to help document these clients, email me. Please let
> me know what machines you have access to (what clients you can
> document), and if you're willing to coordinate the documentation
> effort.

Hmmm.. I used a few hours during my day off yesterday to go through most
of the email from this list we've gotten since the DES II clients came
out.  I've put together the beginnings of a FAQ not just about the
clients, but some other topics that keep popping up from time to time.
Yes, there are holes, and some of the info may even be wrong, but it
should get you started.  Do with it what you will.

================= Start of FAQ =========================

First.  A couple of items you should be aware of that may not be
addressed by any of the individual questions below:

1) Always make sure you are using the absolute latest version of the
client.  Clients can be upgraded frequently and the problem you are
experiencing may be fixed in the current release.

2) Buffer files from clients that predate the DESII project (v2.6x and
earlier) are NOT compatible with the post DESII project clients
(v2.7x).  Unfortunately, you won't get a message from the client that
the buffer file is of the wrong vintage.  Problems caused by using the
older buffer files are many and varied (not to mention extremely hard to
diagnose).  Make ABSOLUTELY SURE you delete or otherwise remove your
older format buffer files before starting the v2.7+ clients.

Q: Why does the Win32 GUI client seem to freeze after calculating <x>
blocks?
A: The window that holds the log output is limited to 32K.  Once the
buffer fills up, the client appears to freeze, though it's just the GUI
window that's frozen.  The client is still cracking keys. This has been
fixed in the latest versions of the client (* I think *). If you are
experiencing this problem you need to upgrade your client to the latest
version.

Q: The Win32 GUI and NT Service clients don't seem to recover their
checkpoint files on startup.