[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #109

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Wed Jan 21 21:27:00 EST 1998

Brice D. Fleckenstein (ciga at surf-ici.com) wrote:

>  BTW - WHY does the Win 3.1 client require win32s? I could have been
> running it on all 40+ of the machines at my last place of work if it did
> NOT require win32s support (MOST Win 3.1 folks have no clue what win32s
> IS, much less have it installed).

The RC5 algorithm, with the parameters used by the RSA contests, requires
32-bit register use for efficient results.  The only way to run 32-bit
code under Windows is with win32 (as found in Win32s, Windows 95 and/or
Windows NT).

Actually, what killed it for me was that after I installed win32s on
this PS/2 (a worthwhile endeavor in its own right), the client still
wanted a WINSOCK.DLL.  At that point I gave up and ran the DOS client
(which is distributed with a 32-bit DOS extender and makes no attempt
to perform network operations).

--
# Greg Wooledge                         # "Daddy, why do those people
have to

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net