[RC5] crashes with all the new DES contest clients

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Wed Jan 21 21:29:12 EST 1998

Clayton Macleod (cypress at nanaimo.ark.com) wrote:

> Anyone else experiencing crashes of various programs in win95
> whenever one of the new DES contest clients is running? With the
> latest win95 gui version I'm having mirc crash at seemingly random
> times, netscape crashing when I click on a mailto: link (one
> example), and I'm quite puzzled. The problems stop as soon as I kill
> the DES client, so I'd say this has to be the source. Any thoughts?

This could be an overheating problem.  With excess demand on your CPU,
your computer could be running hotter, which could cause some flaky
hardware to malfunction when it otherwise stays within normal operating
parameters.

(Does Win95 halt the CPU when it's idle?  I can't remember.  I know DOS
does *not* halt the CPU, and I know Linux does, but I can't remember
all these other platforms as easily since I hardly ever have to use them.)

--
# Greg Wooledge                         # "Daddy, why do those people
have to

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net