[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #109

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Thu Jan 22 03:39:51 EST 1998

At 03:59 PM 1/19/98 , Brice D. Fleckenstein wrote:
> BTW - WHY does the Win 3.1 client require win32s? I could have been
>running it on all 40+ of the machines at my last place of work if it did
>NOT require win32s support (MOST Win 3.1 folks have no clue what win32s
>IS, much less have it installed).

Win32s is required so that 32-bit instructions can be run.  Without running
in 32-bit protected mode, an explicit escape sequence (byte code 0x66) must
be coded by the compiled before each 32-bit operation.  The net effect is
to cut the speed of the client by nearly a factor of 2.  There is actually
a way through a number of undocumented Win3.1 function calls that one can
execute 32-bit code without having win32s, but it is by no means trivial.
I am currently in the process of attempting to produce such a client,
though I cannot offer any estimates of when such a client will be available
for download.

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net