[RC5] RunOffline DES

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Thu Jan 22 11:39:43 EST 1998

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Jeff Lawson wrote:

> At 05:57 PM 1/21/98 , Keith Chang wrote:
> >>How can i configure the Client, to make DES-Blocks if he run complettly
> >>out of Blocks?
> >
> No, the clients were designed so that they cannot perform DES block
> generation.

And there's a reason for it too (as I heard somewhere on IRC I
think): When the DES contest is over, the client has no means of
knowing that, afterall, the network was down (or it wouldn't generate
randoms!). So it's safer that in case the network is down, to
generate RC5 blocks, because DES is most probably over.... (it will
only take couple of weeks now the Win95 GUI is out :) )

Ivo

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net