[RC5] Funky keyrate calculations in proxyper

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Thu Jan 22 15:04:12 EST 1998

At 02:06 PM 1/22/98 , Cedric Tefft wrote:
>I'm using the Win32 proxyper build 276.  I thought I understood how
>the keyrates were calculated by the pproxies, but a few snippets
>from my log file make me think otherwise.
>
>As you can see, the key rate for both rc5 and DES keys goes UP
>without any new keys being returned by any clients.

You are probably aware that the proxy does sliding window averages for the
rate calculation.  This requires separating reported blocks into discrete
time chunks and keeping the last x number of chunks for computation of the
rate.  As such, when the oldest time chunks are moved out you will see the
jumps that you have noticed.  For reference, the proxy uses 5 minute time
chunks, and computes the rate from the last 6 of these chunks.

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net