[RC5] C DES core

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Thu Jan 22 16:20:01 EST 1998

At 01:07 AM 1/22/98 , James  Kew wrote:
>A slow-but-functional generic C core that could be easily dropped into
>all the client builds would have had these clients cracking from day
>one. Yes, it may not be as fast as the opimised assembly cores, but you
>do those *next*.

It should be pointed out that the x86 clients were released first, *not*
because more time was spent on them but because actually *less* time had to
be spent on them.  The first x86 clients use the BrydDES object code
completely unmodified.  The only work needed was initial organization of
the general client base to support DES, plus a little extra glue to
interface with BrydDES.  The fact that BrydDES was designed to be easily
used as is, in a "black box" method made its integration relatively easy.
The generic C cores that we now have available required a bit more
understanding and work to integrate it into our source base, hence the
delay.

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net