[RC5] C DES core (fwd)

Mary Conner trif at serv.net
Thu Jan 22 21:14:53 EST 1998

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, C. Jasper Spaans wrote:
> I don't know why it should be slow. For example: when this client is coded
> in C, and doesn't use black magic, it might be possible to let it be
> compiled by the compiler.
> This would give a client running at at least 90% of the speed of a
> manually
> optimized client.

If you have such a beast, please send it to me.  This is not an issue
of optimizing compilers, as a properly written C brute force core
would compile quite nicely.  The issue is finding a properly
written C core that can integrate with our clients.  I have some
cores written in C in my possession, but they are either dog slow
or they have so much "black magic" that picking them apart to
integrate with our clients would require near as much effort as
writing one from scratch.

The DES algorithm is available---there is a link on www.d.net to a
very clear explanation of it.  There are several papers on how to
implement the algorithm efficiently for brute force cracking.  Would
it make any difference to publically release the cores that we have?
I don't know, the rc5 x86 cores are publically available, and very
few people have risen to the challenge of mucking with them.  Anybody
who wants to work on des cores is very welcome to do so, and almost
all the same material we have is publically available on the web.
Who will rise to the challenge?

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net