[RC5] Netscape and Encryption

Matt Perry matt at primefactor.com
Thu Jan 22 20:43:29 EST 1998

If you haven't heard by now, Netscape has made their Navigator browser
free for the taking to anyone, a la Internet Explorer.  And, get this,
they are going to release the source code under the GNU Public License.

While this is a great thing, as many people will be able to make it an
even better product, I'm wondering how this is going to affect the issue
of Netscape's encryption in relation to ITAR.  Yes, the basic browser only
supports 40 bits.  However, ITAR states that you can't even have hooks in
your program to imbed or link in encryption.

My feelings are that this will force the issue on export regulations as
related to crypto.

Anyone else have any comments?

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net