[RC5] Mac DES Client(s)

Paul Kapp plkapp at erols.com
Thu Jan 22 23:10:20 EST 1998

Although I run Deschall at times (1000+ kkeys/sec) as part of my
contribution to the effort, I'd like to put in my own $.02 about the Mac
RC5-DES client status (or lack thereof), and the importance of certain
selected sub-topics.

* Lack of stats (for Deschall clients):
Some people gripe about this, but it seems that more people are offering
it
as justification for OTHER people waiting for a true RC5-DES client,
instead of running Deschall. It is a little disappointing to me to run
only
Deschall, and not see stats for me. I believe that I have processed a few
dozen 2^30 blocks, but have no way of confirming this by checking the
stats
listing. Today's (23 Jan) stats show over 272000 blocks attributed to
"Unknown" OS and "Unknown" CPU. I believe it's safe to presume that nearly
all of these are attributable to the various flavors of Deschall clients.
I'd also presume that a majority of these are from Mac-Deschall clients.
Compound this with the fact that the Deschall clients have only been
available for a few days, the "Unknowns" are doing a hell of a job.

* Core optimizations:
If I could have run something since day #1, I would. Even if it meant only
crawling at a rate comparable to a 386. Even though I only started helping
out on RC5-64 a few weeks ago, I have seen fairly rapid revision updates
the clients.  It seems that no matter how fast a client is (on ANY
platform), a week or so later, an updated version is available that gives
some performance boost. I don't really buy into the argument that a
significantly slower initial release would drive people back to RC5. There
are probably people exclusively running RC5 just so they can pass the
DES-distracted folks on the "leader board". The relative speed of the DES
client wouldn't change much of anything.

* My "Real" reasons to prefer a RC5-DES client to Deschall
*** Key Block Bufferring - so I don't have to be online to contribute
*** Safe suspend/resume - I've already lost a few partial blocks (2^30)
due
to network/system glitches. Even if I want to quit, I still feel compelled
to let Deschall finish the current block. Yeah, I know that any
unaccounted
blocks will be retried, if necessary, but it's the principle of the
thing...
*** Ability to fine-tune OS scheduling parameters without having to
stop/restart the client (assuming similar options as RC5-64 client)

I'm glad that there is now a MkLinux 2.7 client, and I am encouraged by
the
word that the MacOS client is coming soon. Until then, I'll be booting
into
MkLinux (for obvious reasons). Keep on cracking!

Paul Kapp
plkapp at erols.com

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net