[RC5] C DES core

Mary Conner trif at serv.net
Thu Jan 22 23:55:09 EST 1998

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> You raise a good point, but I think that having the *option* of running
> slow DES clients would still have been beneficial to the overall effort.
> Even if only a small fraction of d.net participants would have been
> willing to run the slower clients, it would still have been better
> than nothing.  Then, those who are just in it for the stat rankings
> could have joined the DES effort when the faster optimized-assembly-core
> clients became available.

You're still assuing that the slow clients come for free, that no
work would need to be taken away from other things (like fast clients)
in order to get them written and integrated.  Which is better, fast
clients two weeks late, or slow clients (1/20th the rate of fast
clients) immediately, and fast clients four weeks late?

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net