[RC5] crashes with all the new DES contest clients

steven at heimann.com.au steven at heimann.com.au
Fri Jan 23 21:04:21 EST 1998

>Clayton Macleod (cypress at nanaimo.ark.com) wrote:
>> Anyone else experiencing crashes of various programs in win95
>> whenever one of the new DES contest clients is running? With the
>> latest win95 gui version I'm having mirc crash at seemingly random
>> times, netscape crashing when I click on a mailto: link (one
>> example), and I'm quite puzzled. The problems stop as soon as I kill
>> the DES client, so I'd say this has to be the source. Any thoughts?

and in reply earlier today I wrote:

<snip>

>No stability problems with any of them and no unusual system crashes.  Of
course with Win95 you have to expect  the machine to crash occasionally
(at
least >once every few days) but no noticable changes.

<snip>

I came home from work tonight to find my Win95 V2.7006.388 GUI client
broadcasting madly with continuous network error messages.  It had kept my
STD link to the office up for 8 hours.  My Linux box (build 383) had
crashed with a core dump.  My portable (Win95 running build 383 CLI) was
still going.  Each time I restarted the computer with the problems it
immediately started the same broadcasting and error messages.  I had to
restart it in safe mode to prevent the client starting and reconfigure the
client not to run as a service then restart the PC yet again.

The errors shown were

Network :: Error Read Failed 27/0
Network :: Error Read Failed 6/0

over and over again

I think the personal proxy may have failed but I can't check it until I go
back to work.

Neither the Linux client or the Win95 GUI are showing any sign of
switching
to random RC5 blocks.

ini files follow
parameters]
id=rc5 at distributed.net
threshold=10:10
threshold2=10:10
count=0
hours=0.000000
timeslice=65536
niceness=0
logname=
firemode=5
keyproxy=192.168.1.36
keyport=2064
uuehttpmode=0
cputype=2
messagelen=0
smtpsrvr=your.smtp.server
smtpport=25
smtpfrom=RC5notify
smtpdest=you at your.site
numcpu=1
checkpointfile=none
checkpointfile2=none
randomprefix=100
preferredcontest=2
preferredblocksize=30

[guiwin32]
runhidden=0
playsound=0

(just noticed that I forgot to reconfigure the id when I installed this
client.  I guess thats some blocks for free)

Linux ini is very similar but with ckeckpoint files.

regards
Steven

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net