[RC5] Running DES client on dual-booting machine

Jeffrey A. Lawson jlawson at orion.ac.hmc.edu
Sun Jan 25 19:23:53 EST 1998

> Read partial DES blcok from another cpu/os/build
> Marking entire block as unchecked
>
> This seems a large waste of time, especially if I'm 90% of the way
> through the DES blocks which take 2 hours to complete. If a block can't
> be completed on the other OS, is there a way of marking the block to be
> left until I reboot back into the original OS?

The solution is to not share buffers if you are going to do this
frequently.  A new set of file buffering routines are currently in the
final-development/testing phase and will be eventually be used in the
clients, but their integration is still a few builds away.  The new
buffering code includes true fifo ordering, selective block removal,
safe handling of different versioned buffers, better corrupt buffer
salvaging, and a number of other improvements.

Jeff

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net