[RC5] Re: Blocks

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Sun Jan 25 22:13:13 EST 1998

'Anssi Saari' said previously:
| Well, yes, it confuses me all right. Since a 2**30 block results in
| 2**31 blocks checked, shouldn't one get credited for 8 2**28 blocks?

Following that logic, then anyone returning a 2**28 block should get
credited for two 2**28 blocks.  That's absurd, particularly when you
consider that the only reason this is being done is to break blocks into
the least-common denominator.

A 2**30 block corresponds to four times as many keys as a 2**28 block,
and therefore counts the same as four 2**28 blocks.  The fact that a
2**30 block actually corresponds to 2**31 keys is only relevant when
calculating a key rate (vs. a block rate).

Regards,

--Joe

--
 +----------- Joseph Zbiciak ----------+