[RC5] Running DES client on dual-booting machine

Sean McPherson sean at ntr.net
Mon Jan 26 08:01:06 EST 1998

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Bradley Baetz wrote:

> Hi!
> I dual boot my computer between win95 and linux, and run the DES client
> on both. I share the buff-in and buff-out files using symbolic links on
> the linux sie, but everytime I change OS, I get the message:
>
> Read partial DES blcok from another cpu/os/build
> Marking entire block as unchecked
>
> This seems a large waste of time, especially if I'm 90% of the way
> through the DES blocks which take 2 hours to complete. If a block can't
> be completed on the other OS, is there a way of marking the block to be
> left until I reboot back into the original OS?
>
> Thanks,
> Bradley

I'd say just buffer half as many blocks into separate directories for
each, or a percentage based on how much time is spent in each OS (I buffer
20^30 blocks for my win95 partition, and 60 2^30 for my linux partition).
If you get worried about how long it'll be in one or the other, after a
few days, leave it in the different OS than usual when you leave the
office or go to bed.

Sean McPherson
sean at ntr.net
Network Operations Technician