[RC5] How do we know???

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Jan 28 14:20:22 EST 1998

     The clients are designed to give little clue when the key is found.
     This is to prevent an unsavory character finding the key using D.Net
     clients, chopping off his network connection and reporting the key
     "independently" for the full prize.

     At the end of RC5-56 it was commented that the pproxies had a slight
     difference in their logs when the key was found.  I'd check the
     archives around 25 October 1997 to be sure.

     It hasn't been stated (to my knowledge) whether the key-serving
     proxies will automatically switch the instant the DES-II key is
found
     and reported (back to RC5-64).  I would suspect that they would
*not*
     for the reasons given above.  (An unsavory person could wait until
the
     central servers aren't giving out DES blocks, walk backwards through
     his logs attempting keys.  If this person's client found the key,
then
     they'll find it and have the ability to report it, possibly before
the
     D.Net people can report it.)