[RC5] How to detect the number of processors on a UNIX

Holger Lamm holger at e-technik.uni-kl.de
Thu Jan 29 12:59:31 EST 1998

system?
Sender: owner-rc5 at lists.distributed.net

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Chris Vanden Berghe wrote:

> I've got rc564-solaris251-6403-320-mt running on a multiprocessor system
> (min 8), but I don't know how many processors it contains.  So sue me ;-)

Try to run it with one processor, and look how much CPU time it gets.
("top", for example, or ps -l)
If you won't get more than 50%, it must be a two-processor machine.
(with 10%, it may be an idle 10-proc or a "normal" 8, who knows ..?)

> If there is no way of asking anybody, what is the best number to number to
> use for the numcpu option?
A few more threads won't hurt ...

Holger

--
Windows95: <win-doz-nin-te-fiv> n.
  32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net