[RC5] Still waiting?

Jim Renney jimr at cowww.com
Thu Jan 29 12:48:42 EST 1998

At 07:38 PM 1/28/98 -0500, Christopher Dickens wrote:
>I'm still anxiously awaiting the integration of Rocke's DES bitslicing on
>the IRIX version of rc5des.  I am extremely happy that I now have the
>choice to even run it, albeit very slowly comparable to my AMD K5-166
>running the x86 client.

>Could someone either release the bitslice version of deschall, or get it
>into the "rc5des" program quicker?  Thanks!

The deschall bitslice clients have been at
ftp://ftp.distributed.net/pub/rc5-64/deschall/bitslice
since last weekend.  Hopefully a client there will work for you.

I'm not sure if there was an "official" announcement of those clients
made.
 All the other bitsliced deschall clients should be in that directory too.
There are clients for x86 cpus there too, but they are *not* bitslice
clients.. x86 chips don't have enough registers to do bitslice
efficiently.

If you have a non-x86 cpu and a permanent internet connection, you might
want to give those clients a try.  At this point they still beat (in
speed)
the d.net clients normally, but they do have some disadvantages (no
buffering, no stats, firewall unfriendly).

Hope this helps get a few more keys per second overall!

Jim Renney

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net