[RC5] The Mac b3 beta client

Seth Dillingham seth at snet.net
Thu Jan 29 13:26:20 EST 1998

I've been getting lots of letters about the 'slowness' of the current
beta client for the mac.

We *KNOW* that it's slower. We even know why it's slower, I think. This
is part of why a beta process is done, in the first place: to work out
the bugs and the kinks.

If you have a full time net connection, and are willing to forego your
own stats, run the DESCHALL client instead of our current beta. When the
client is sped up, it will make more sense to switch over because of the
added features, but until then just run the client that makes sense for
you.

What surprises me, I guess, is the *antagonism* in some of the private
letters I've received. As if we're morons for releasing such a "doggedly
slow" client, or we did it on purpose for some reason. Most people have
been very understanding about the term "beta client", but to those who
haven't: don't use this client. It's not worth the pain it's obviously
causing you.

Now, to everybody else, "Thank You!" for running the tests I requested
yesterday, they helped both burn in the current code (other than the
speed problem, very few bugs have been found, Peter DiCamillo (and the
rest of the mac coding team) is obviously very talented), and made it
startlingly obvious that the client is, in fact, significantly slower
than the DESCHALL client.

Seth
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net