[RC5] Win32 CLI 391 and "-hide" -- more...

Adrian h0444xhk at rz.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 29 18:46:53 EST 1998

dlmeyer at uiuc.edu wrote:

> Actually, it appears that when you run RC5DES with the "-hide" option
> under NT4 workstation (SP3), the client loads the working block and the
> waiting block, then enters processing and stops. This explains why the
> checkpoint files do not appear; now why does the processing freeze?
>
> Looking at the Tasklist, specifically the CPU utilization, I note that
the
> CPU is shared between RC5DES (~60%) and another process named
"csrss.exe",
> which pulls a widely variable ~40% of CPU time. The graph shows about
60%
> kernel time when "-hide" is used, as opposed to practically no kernel
time
> when "-hide" is not used. (All other factors held constant, only
> variation is use of "-hide" commandline parameter.)
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

On my NT4 workstations I had the same problems. Unfortunately I mentioned
it very late so they ran days without completing one block.

It seems to be a new problem to the DES-win32-client since the older
RC64-clients worked fine.

Now I use the win32-GUI-client on these NT4 workstations. They work hidden
and fast without any problems.

Hope, it will help you to speed up!

Adrian

eMail: adrians at bigfoot.de