[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #118

Brice D. Fleckenstein ciga at surf-ici.com
Wed Jan 28 19:39:01 EST 1998

> My Cyrix P166+ cracked RC5 blocks in about 18 minutes. The new DESII
> Win32 GUI clients takes hours and hours to crack a DESII block.
>
> Are these blocks so much bigger, or is something wrong (I thought DES
> was supposed to go faster dan RC5).

 1) Check your key rate - it should be in the same ballpark or higher.
 2) The DES client is Pentium (and PPro) optimised - it does NOT
take     advantage of Cyrix or AMD optimizations (YET hopefully).
 3) The default block size for DES is 2^30 or 4 times larger than the
RC5     2^28 block size.

--
 The alt.callahans news server is now at 209.100.145.29
 The new net connection *should* be more reliable, but

 "It takes as much courage to try and fail, as it does to try and
succeed." - Anne Lindburg
 My opinions are my own, and no others. Please email me copies of any