[RC5] New clients

Jo Hermans Jo.Hermans at vub.ac.be
Fri Jan 30 18:26:39 EST 1998

At 10:36 AM 1/30/98 -0600, you wrote:
[skip]
>> In fact, my boss doesn't even know that his computer is participating
>> with
>> RC5/DES. I only had to enter his office once to install the service,
>> and
>> now I don't have to do even that anymore :)
>>
>This is REALLY risky.  As Nugget has pointed out on this list, people
>have lost their jobs for stuff like this.  You should only run the
>client on machines you have express permission to do so (and if you do,
>let this be a warning to others).  It would be much better for your boss
>to find out about the client running on his machine from you then for
>him to find out another way.

Don't worry, my boss knows that I'm doing all kinds of stuff. I'm the
sysadmin anyway. And I was also the one that found RC5-56, remember :)
[good party, BTW] But I can't have access to his office, so as far as he
knows he's still running RC5-64. I just haven't told him yet that I
replaced the client already. As long as I don't bother him, I can whatever
I want. But some tasks (like installing service patches) require direct
access to the console (oops, that's keyboard on a pc), which is very
difficult for me to obtain. I told him to keep a UNIX-workstation instead
of installing NT, but he wouldn't listen ... Maybe Rhapsody will make my
job easier (I don't want to start a OS-thread here ! redirect to /dev/null
please !)

---
Jo Hermans, System Manager WFS, VUB University, Brussels
Jo.Hermans at vub.ac.be                http://dinf.vub.ac.be/~jo/

Co-listmom (sic) of Blues-L         news:bit.listserv.blues-l
Maintains the Antwerp Blues Scene   http://www.innet.be/~jhermans/blues/
Dinf won RC5-56 !
http://dinf.vub.ac.be/bovine/victory.html

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net