[RC5] P4 Speed Question

Ferry van Steen td at salesint.com
Wed Jan 7 18:15:36 EST 1998

I couldn't agree more. To strengthen your arguments, did you know microsofts
hotmail service ran (and I believe several servers STILL run) a UNIX version
(don't remember which one, believe it was SCO) simply because NT4 couldn't
handle all the mail. I believe in Windows 2000 a lot of stuff has been
resolved but still.... Unix/Linux is delivering this kind of performance for
quite a few years now and don't forget it's stability. Ofcourse different
environments cause different results but there are lots of environments
known where Unix/Linux outperforms Microsofts commercial stuff by quite a
bit. Think of IIS and Apache, Apache can handle much more connections than
IIS. Although IIS is a bad examply since it's so full of securityflaws it
will make you sick. securityportal.com even advises everybody NOT to use IIS
because it has over 25 exploitable bugs this year alone. So much for
commercial stuff... Because of the nature of Unix/Linux this flaws are
detected earlier and solved faster than is possible with commercial stuff.
(which isn't open source)

regards