[RC5] Strange Benchmark Results?

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Wed Jul 1 10:13:51 EDT 1998

'Jeff Gilchrist' said previously:

| When I do -benchmark on the latest v2.71 client on my Windows NT machine
| that is running a Pentium-II 300Mhz CPU I only get 1.3 million DES
| keys/sec.

My Pentium-II 300 gets about 1.45MKey/sec on DES with the 2.71 client,
so you're pretty close, if just a little low.  I'm running Linux
though, so that may be part of it.

| Shouldn't the Pentium-II be working a LOT faster for DES?  The
| Pentium-II machine does 830,000 RC5 keys/sec so that *seems* to be the
| correct speed.

I get just a hair above that on RC5 (about 840 Kkey/sec) so you're
in the ballpark.

>From what I recall, the BrydDES core that we're using is heavily
P5 optimized, so P6-based devices (eg. Pentium-Pro, Pentium-II) don't
have a huge speedup over P5 (eg. Pentium, Pentium-MMX).

Regards,

--Joe

--
  +------- Joseph Zbiciak ------+
  |- - - j-zbiciak1 at ti.com - - -|  "The truth of a proposition has nothing
  | -Texas Instruments, Dallas- |   to do with its credibility.
  |- - #include <disclaim.h> - -|   And vice versa."       -- Lazarus Long

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net