[RC5] Time out and DES-II-2 challenge

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Wed Jul 1 10:00:37 EDT 1998

'ALBERTY Pascal' said previously:

| Of course I'll do it! But what about people who'll forget to make these
| changes.

These people will simply do redundant work.  No harm done, just less
efficient.

| Or people who'll keep intentionnaly blocks to slow down the project
| ?

The most they'll do is slow down the key server a little while they fetch.
(And they'd need to fetch an awful lot to have a significant impact on
the keyserver's performance.)

For people who don't care to set up their machines properly for the
DES-II contest, they'll either have to accept that they'll be doing
duplicate work, or will have to decide to sit DES-II out.  In either
case, it's a not much of an issue.  For a short-span contest like
DES-II, it's truly necessary to pay attention and put in some effort to
ensure that all work is useful.  That's what makes it more difficult.

| For this kind of challenge (with a short time completion estimated), is a
| 'time out' for block a good solution (time out handle by key servers)?

This happens already when we start reissuing blocks that haven't been
returned.  I'm estimating that our first reissued block happens on
or before the 20th.

Regards,

--Joe

--
  +------- Joseph Zbiciak ------+
  |- - - j-zbiciak1 at ti.com - - -|  "The truth of a proposition has nothing
  | -Texas Instruments, Dallas- |   to do with its credibility.
  |- - #include <disclaim.h> - -|   And vice versa."       -- Lazarus Long

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net