[RC5] Small or large blocks

Petr Novotny Petr.Novotny at antek.cz
Thu Jul 2 17:29:59 EDT 1998

Hi,

there may be something more that is worth mentioning: If you use
personal proxy (even for a stand-alone computer), you have two big
advantages:
1. Perproxy is a FIFO - there are no problems with blocks downloaded
and rotting and the bottom of client's FIFO buffer.
2. Before perproxy flushes completed blocks out, it "resynthetized"
the large blocks again (if you checked 8 consecutive 2^28 blocks, the
proxy will report them as one 2^31 block). It has two advantages: For
you, it takes less bandwidth to report (if you're using 9.6kbps modem
and paying per minute, you'd appreciate it). For d.net, it lowers the
demands on the keymaster (or so they say).

The additional cost of installing a perproxy (if your platform
supports one) is about 400kB of disc space and 5 minutes of
configuring. The perproxy's memory requirements are minimal and it
sleeps most of the time (on my standalone Win95 machine, the speed
dropped to 99.87% of the one without proxy; less than a block a week).

BTW, how about the "main" proxies? Do they resynthetize blocks or
not? (I guess it might be too much load...)
--
Petr Novotny, ANTEK CS
Petr.Novotny at antek.cz
http://www.antek.cz
-- Don't you know there ain't no devil there's just God when he's drunk.
                                                             [Tom Waits]
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net