[RC5] Time out and DES-II-2 challenge

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Thu Jul 2 18:27:06 EDT 1998

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Jason Untulis wrote:

> One other blocksize-related note to add to Eric's fine summary. Early in
> RC5-64, when the new blocksizes were added (original RC5-56 blocks were
> only 2^28 AFAIR), there were bugs in handling the 2^31 block size,
> presumably related to the fact that 2^31 is the maximum size of a 32 bit
> signed integer. (Not a difficult mistake for the coders to make...) Many, if
> not most people, who wanted bigger blocks chose the 2^30 size and probably
> left it there.

Actually, initially, you could select anything from 2^28 all the way
through 2^32 (2^32 is the max that can be held in an unsigned long int) As
a result, block reports were getting scrambled, as they checked 2^33 keys
actually.  That was the reason for trimming things back to a max of 2^31
(plus the extra key makes it 2^32 (max) and the overflow problems went
away)

> The assertion made in Adam's 2.7100 announcement is that this 2^31 block
> handling has been fixed. Looking at the Readme I've seen no indication in
> the version history of this. You may want to test this out before DES-II-2
> starts...

As pointed out above, there never was a problem with 2^31 block sizes, so
there would be no reason to mention a fix in the readme files.  it was
only the very first client releases for rc5-64 that had the 2^32 block
size allowed to be chosen, so unless you've got one of those, you'd not
see any mention of that size of blocks.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net