[RC5] Old client switching?

Jim C. Nasby nasbjim at charlie.cns.iit.edu
Sat Jul 4 11:41:55 EDT 1998

You are correct... in order to switch an old client back to DES, you will have to
change preffered contest back to 2 AFTER DES STARTS.

Before DES-II-1, prefered contest could be set to 2 before the contest started
(this was in fact the default). This was because the network was not sending any
DES blocks at all. The method for switching old clients back to RC5 was to send a
bunch of DES test blocks, which we are still doing (and there are still clients
requesting DES blocks btw...) So, you can't change the preferred contest setting on
an old client right now, because there are test blocks in the system. The client
would see a bunch of them, and revert back to RC5. This is a bit of a
simplification, but it's pretty close. :)

The simplest solution is to run a newer client, since they use a different method
to determin what contests are active. If there isn't a port for your platform yet,
you can request it at http://www.distributed.net/porting/ (there is a link to this
page on the clients page, just above the listing for all the clients). We're trying
to port to as many platforms as possible before DES-II-2 starts.

Moo!
dB!