[RC5] Who cracked that block ??

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Jul 7 18:34:10 EDT 1998

     When a client cracks a block, the client imprints the "completion
     record" with the e-Mail address that the client is using.  This
     couplet, (completion record, e-Mail address), is sent (essentially)
     unaltered through the (personal) proxy network back to the master
     keyserver where the e-Mail address part is used to determine who
     gets the blocks.

     If you don't give a fully qualified e-Mail address, then the
     keyserver can't associate the completion record with you.  I believe
     that there are two large "bins" at D.Net.  The first bin contains
     those blocks completed by clients which have never had the default
     changed -- i.e., they are credited to D.Net.  The second bin is
     "malformed addresses" -- i.e., they are credited to no one.

     The official D.Net line for a long time is that it would be too much
     manual processing to handle reassigning previously returned blocks.
     This is (one of) the reason(s) that blocks don't follow you as you
     go from team to team.

     There used to be an option for pproxies to alter the e-Mail address
     of the couplets that passed through them.  I recall that there were
     a couple of abuses -- where pproxies were set up for public use but
     were reassigning all the blocks to the pproxy owner's account.  This
     option was removed so that such abuses could not occur.  The
     original idea was to do what you suggested, but that method was
     abused.  Imagine if two or three people were cracking blocks in your
     company through your pproxy and then suddenly noticed that they were
     never creditted for the blocks...

     Finally, as a source of "future-proofing", it is a good idea to have
     a fully qualified e-Mail address in the client configuration.  If
     one of those machines was ever migrated to a direct Internet feed,
     it would be able to crack for you without your intervention (to
     repair the e-Mail configuration item).
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu