[RC5] Slow clients

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Fri Jul 10 22:23:32 EDT 1998

John Campbell (jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com) wrote:

> 	I ask because I've just downloaded the "newer, better, faster"
> 2.7100.413 linux client, and it's a speed loss, sometimes a very large one,
> on several of my machines.
>
> 	My 486-DX2-66, which has been cracking RC5 at a steady 61kk/s with
> 2.7014.397, benchmarks at 56kk/s RC5 and a pathetic 6kk/s DES with the new
> client.

Is there any chance that your system isn't completely idle when you
run the benchmark?  I'm running the 2.7100.413 Linux/x86 client on an
486/66 here at home; I get peaks of up to 65kkeys/sec during relatively
idle periods (this box is never *totally* idle for long), and an average
real-world throughput of ~58kk/s, as you can see in my headers.

I haven't actually run the benchmark.  Whenever I see a speed drop,
I check to see if there's a runaway Netscape, or if the Turbo button
has been pressed.... :-(

--
"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge
  use Microsoft Windows?"              |   wooledge at kellnet.com
"Don't stare, son; it's not polite."   |   http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net