[RC5] rc5des 414 on an alpha - network probs

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Fri Jul 10 22:39:39 EDT 1998

Jon Nathan (jon at blading.com) wrote:

> Connecting to us.v27.distributed.net...
> Network::failed to resolve hostname "us.v27.distributed.net"
> [Jul 08 18:14:08 GMT] Network::Open Error 1 - sleeping for 3 seconds

> [root at host rc5des414]# ping us.v27.distributed.net
> PING us.v27.distributed.net (199.45.111.6): 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from 199.45.111.6: icmp_seq=0 ttl=240 time=36.1 ms

This points toward a difference in resolver libraries.  Especially since
you're using a statically linked client, the resolver used in the client
probably differs from the one your system uses.

Off hand, you might need an /etc/nsswitch.conf file.  If you don't have
one, try 'echo hosts: files dns > /etc/nsswitch.conf'.  That might work,
but if it doesn't then we can get serious....

Linux has a program called strace which will show all the system calls
a program makes.  This includes all open() and stat() calls, even ones
made by libraries.  If /etc/nsswitch.conf isn't the answer, then try
something like this:

	strace -o /tmp/rc5.trace ./rc5des -fetch

This will create a (large) file called /tmp/rc5.trace which shows a log
of all the system calls made during the run of the program.  You can
then analyze it to see what it did.  For example,

	egrep 'stat|open' /tmp/rc5.trace

will show all the lines that have 'stat' or 'open' on them.  This should
show you all the files that the program is looking for.  It takes some
practice to be able to understand the output completely, but often this
will give you important information about what is going wrong.

--
"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge
  use Microsoft Windows?"              |   wooledge at kellnet.com
"Don't stare, son; it's not polite."   |   http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net