[RC5] Splitting of buff files

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Sat Jul 11 19:43:32 EDT 1998

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Brian O'Neill wrote:

> Henning Eiben wrote:

> > >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ how?
> >
> > just have severl binaries in one directory (each with a different name, I
> > use the name of the machine thei're running on), and so they're all using
> > the same buff-in and buff-out files :=)
> > But you can also have the binaries in different locations, and modify the
> > ini's to point all to the same buff-in and buff-out ... it's as easy as
> > this.
>
> You know, I tried this at home and it wiped the buffs out.

Well, I use it at my faculty's lab, and everything runs fine. About
30 computers (even from different platforms) from 1 set of
bufferfiles. No problemo at all. The clients are designed with file
locking code etc. especially to allow multiple clients use 1 set of
buffers.
O, one thing, when a client from OS "A" detects a partial finished
block from OS "B", it resets it to 0% done, to avoid compatibility
problems, because different platforms crack a block in different ways
and 50% done isn't always the same 50% on all platforms.
But as long as you don't have partial blocks (i.e. running 24/7),
you're ok. Or do as I did, and create a different buff-in for each
platform. (buff-out is safe, no partial blocks there)

Ivo

--
| IVO JANSSEN       | ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl        | |     |   |
| 2614 JE Delft     | elektron.et.tudelft.nl/~ivo/   | +->-|    (|)
| the Netherlands   | Dept of Electrical Engineering |     |-+   |
| +31-15-2855973    | Delft University of Technology |       |   |

  Part of the world largest computer!
  http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net