[RC5] Re:rc5-digest V1 #219

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Tue Jul 14 16:09:11 EDT 1998

'Jeff Rosowski' said previously:

| Is there any reason why DES won't use more than two processors in
| multiprocessor machines.  I have a quad processor and it insists on
| doing two rc5 blocks and two des blocks.  If I put the rc5 buffers to
| 0:0 it still just does two DES blocks.  I would think in a time
| critical application such as this, a significant gain would be had by
| allowing DES to use all four processors.  Right now my DES key rate is
| effectively cut in half.

>From what I recall, the BrydDES core is non-reentrant, but later builds
of BrydDES clients during DES-II-1 had two copies of the core, allowing
dual-CPU systems to use both CPUs for DES.  (This approach doesn't
scale beyond two CPUs, though.)

I'm not sure if the MMX core (available in the most recent builds) is
reentrant.  Anyone here know if it is?

Regards,

--Joe

--
  +------- Joseph Zbiciak ------+
  |- - - j-zbiciak1 at ti.com - - -|  "The truth of a proposition has nothing
  | -Texas Instruments, Dallas- |   to do with its credibility.
  |- - #include <disclaim.h> - -|   And vice versa."       -- Lazarus Long

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net