[RC5] Sharing .ini's

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Wed Jul 15 13:56:07 EDT 1998

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, R. Kelley Cook wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:43:48 +0200, Florian Laws wrote:
>
> >And here is the problem: I sometimes work at multiple machines and since
> >user profiles are shared across the network, I fear that two or more
> >clients are started in the same directory.
>
> No problem.  Only small issue is that since the .ini settings are
> shared too, if you change the configuration on one computer, another
> running client will not get the updates.

I have a problem here: Since my 1 .ini is shared amongst 30 computers
from different platforms, the last client that exits at 8am writes
its config back to .ini....
So I have "numcpu=-1" to autodetect. My dualppro autodetects 2, runs
all night, exits, writes "numcpu=2" and "logname=log.dppro" back.
(Because I started it with "-l log.dppro")
But the next night my single p60 start with 2 threads... WRONG!
I noticed the same thing for the cputype..

No, I'm not going to maintain 30 different .ini's!!
I tied making it readonly, which seems to help, but of course for
des2 I had to make it readwrite again. And now and then the
randomprefix needs to be updated.

My question: Could the client NOT write his config back to the ini,
unless specifically run with -config?

Ivo

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net