[RC5] Cyrix M2-300

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Jul 16 15:53:07 EDT 1998

     Would it be easier to post a utility to turn on CPUID?  Such a
     utility could be installed in the boot scripts for most users and
     this would help them in other ways as well.
        Alternatively, is there a utility "out there" on the WWW that
     will do this?  This sounds like the sort of thing _c't_ would do.

     ftp://ftp.cyrix.com/6x86MX/docs/103ap.pdf
     seems to give some information on using ports 0x22 and 0x23 to get
     access to the 6x86MX configuration registers and possibly modify
     them.

     "The Brotherhood of the CPU" at http://www.processor.org/files.htm
     provide m2opt.zip and 6xopt078.zip -- two programs for "optimizing"
     the 6x86/6x86MX.  At that location is also cyrixid.zip, a program
     for extracting state information about the Cyrix/IBM CPUs.
        Also at this site are a few similar utilities for the K6 and K6-2
     -- enwa.zip (enables write allocate in K5 and K6) and cpuid.zip
     (extracts state information from the AMD CPU).
        I have neither of these processors and have never used any of
     "The Brotherhood ..."'s software.  So, sieze the fish, today!
        This page *also* has a bunch of utilities for "optimizing" and
     clock setting.  You might want to skip CPUIdle if you intend to work
     on D.Net projects...  :-)
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu