[RC5] AIX RC5 client

olaf thormaehlen tho at hex.ruhr.de
Sun Jul 19 13:54:42 EDT 1998

Marc Sira wrote:

> >ps: it would be *very* nice to get the client for AIX to work on
SMP-machines
> >(SP/2, 8x604e, 200MHz each). to whom do i complain about that?!
>
> Are you unable to run multiple copies? Since they're all niced, it wouldn't
> actually increase the load on the system (though it does increase that of
> the scheduler).

i tried to start 8 clients in the same directory (working on the same
rc5-buff.in), but they all started to work on the same block. (worse
yet: killing them made every process save its work into rc5-buff.out, so
that after restarting *one* client it would first calculate the same
block 8 times, resuming the work of the 8 processes :-).

i don´ t have the time to maintain 8 different directories, because i
have to do it by hand (machine is not connected to the internet).

> We (UVic) have one of those too, though there's no way I
> could ever convince them to ever run RC5 on it. :)  That's a very nice
> machine; the 604e is still the fastest chip for RC5 (though 750s are very
> respectable).

we have three of them. on (idle) processor gets me nearly 670.000
kkeys/s.

> Are you instead looking for a multithreaded client that can work on an
> arbitrary number of blocks in the same process?

this would be the best thing for me. have to test the new AIX-client
(out some days) because it seems to have that "-numcpu" switch.

bye,

olaf.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net