[RC5] [ADMIN] DES-II-2 is over...

Pete Krawczyk petek at mc.net
Fri Jul 17 20:02:58 EDT 1998

At 01:56 PM 7/17/98 -0700, Mary wrote:
>> If that's true, then also the point should be made that this
>> computer is apparently 2 times as fast as the whole d.net machine
>> at this point.
>
>They claimed 88 gigakeys, which squares with our rough calculations
>(25% of keyspace over 56 hours, which yields 89.3 gigakeys).  I have
>personally seen keyrates of 75 gigakeys off the proxyinfo page.
>Certainly our overall rate since the start is much less, but d.net
>was not that appreciably slower than the EFF machine.  We also did
>not have anything near full conversion.

They did 25% in 56 hours.  According to desstats, we had done
22% between 9 AM PDT Mon and 12 AM PDT Fri, or 87 hours.
Thus, they did one percent about every 2 hours, and we did one percent
about every 4 hours.  That's roughly double.

Maybe I was off in my estimates in DES speed, but not by much.

-Pete K
--
Pete Krawczyk  pkrawczy at uiuc dot edu -or- petek at mc dot net
 http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/pkrawczy  Finger for PGP public key
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net