[RC5] d.net

Ryan Schmidt berrytech at bigfoot.com
Sun Jul 19 01:28:00 EDT 1998

>I believe the real fix is to express buffer sizes in equivalent numbers
>of 2^28 blocks, so that the total workload for a buffer of size N is
>constant, regardless of whether the blocks are 2^31 or 2^28 or
>something inbetween.  That way, if I say "buffer 200 blocks, preferring
>2^31 blocks", I could either get 200 2^28 blocks or 25 2^31 blocks or
>some combination in between.  You will still keep the block-size
>preference setting so that you could place an upper bound on the
>granularity of work attempted at any given time.

>I know that I would set my offline computers to use 2^31 blocks instead
>of 2^28 blocks if such a scheme were implemented.  Anyone else in the
>same boat?

I second this. It would make life easier to be able to exactly know how many
keys I've gotten, rather than just knowing how many variably-sized blocks.

It might be further useful to have the client be able to split large blocks into
smaller blocks. This way, a client computer can put the least load on the
distributed network while still performing a unit of work appropriate to its
processing power.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net