[RC5] We need strong international encryption!

Ed McCrudden 693077 at ican.net
Sun Jul 19 18:10:24 EDT 1998

At 10:01 AM 7/18/98 -0400, Greg Wooledge <wooledge at kellnet.com> wrote:

>Also note that EFF's "Deep Crack" machine
>can *only* handle DES -- it's got dedicated DES-cracking hardware chips,
>so it can't be used on RC5 or GIMPS or any other project.

What's stopping them from developing similar hardware for RC5?  Seems to
me they have very deep pockets if they can afford to spend a quarter of
a million dollars to win $10,000.

Surely they can apply some of what they learned on their successful
assault on DES to RC5.  I bet they will.  It's the next logical step.

I have the feeling that d.net is unlikely to win any more RSA contests.

-Ed       (still plugging away on 64 anyway...)

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net