[RC5] We need strong international encryption!

Mary Conner trif at serv.net
Mon Jul 20 02:30:53 EDT 1998

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Ed McCrudden wrote:
> What's stopping them from developing similar hardware for RC5?  Seems to
> me they have very deep pockets if they can afford to spend a quarter of
> a million dollars to win $10,000.

Because rc5 is not susceptible to the same kind of attack that makes
a specialized hardware cracker so deadly to DES.  DES has the property
that given a sufficient population of registers, you can crack many
keys simultaneously.  With 32-bit wide registers you can crack 32
keys all together with a little bit more work than it would take to
crack one.  DES is a static algorithm, the same steps are applied
no matter what.  RC5 is not, the operations performed on the data
are dependant on the value of the data.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net