[RC5] We need strong international encryption!

Tony Li tli at juniper.net
Mon Jul 20 01:49:52 EDT 1998

693077 at ican.net (Ed McCrudden) writes:

> What's stopping them from developing similar hardware for RC5?  Seems to
> me they have very deep pockets if they can afford to spend a quarter of
> a million dollars to win $10,000.

Their 'deep pockets' is undoubtedly John Gilmore himself.

> Surely they can apply some of what they learned on their successful
> assault on DES to RC5.  I bet they will.  It's the next logical step.

Perhaps.  John (rightfully) has a chip on his shoulder (pun intended)
against the US Gov. encryption policies.  He might aim at RC5.  Or he might
not.  For example, he might simply point his money directly into lobbying.

> I have the feeling that d.net is unlikely to win any more RSA contests.

Or, he might decide to join d.net.  ;-)

Tony
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net