[RC5] We need strong international encryption!

dan carter motion at es.co.nz
Mon Jul 20 14:55:46 EDT 1998

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998 17:10:24 -0400, Ed McCrudden wrote:

>I have the feeling that d.net is unlikely to win any more RSA contests.

Apparently, at our peak, we were matching them for speed. With the
growth, through increased computing power of HW and increased
participants,  the next time around we will be faster. (unless they
spend another few hundred thousand to throw in another 1500 CPUs)

The key is:
- to have clients that can switch automatically the moment the contest
switches (there are a number of issues preventing the clients from
doing this at present)
- to have them available for all platforms
- to have them available well in advance so that they can be broadly
deployed before the start date.

If we had had immediate switchover of all clients, we probably would
have beaten them.
Now that we know there is serious competition, hopefully there will be
a greater focus on getting the switchover going right.

When the contest lasts only days, we can't afford to miss 1 or 2 days
of full power.

When i say they should be available well in advance, i mean we should
be fixing it now, and having them released now. Enhanced MMX cores and
other functionality can wait, because not everyone can upgrade at a
week or twos notice.

I have this thing running on friends machines close by and in other
cities. They don't mind me running it on their machines, but they're
not going to maintain the thing for me, hence there might be only a
handful of opportunities per year to upgrade. I also have it running in
labs, and did not have time last week (lots of project deadlines) to
manually switch them over (they're running win32 hidden clients, which
don't auto switch to DES). If at the end of DES-II-1, DES-II-2
autoswitching clients were released, then all of the above machines
would have been cracking DES, not RC5.

We can still do it, there is competition, but competition is a good
thing.
-dan

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net