[RC5] APM and keyrates and linux

Al Hunt al.hunt at telus.com
Mon Jul 20 13:09:25 EDT 1998

Your CPU is probably also being placed in "powersave mode". That is; it
is being run at a much lower clock speed when suspended. This does save
some power, but more importantly reduces the heat produced. This often
allows powersave mode to even turn of your PC case's fan.

Some BIOS' allow fine tuning of the powersave features. For example, my
BIOS allows me to turn off the monitor and drives, but leave the CPU at
high speed. In this mode, the BIOS prevents me from turning off my case
fan.

Cheers,
Al