[RC5] We need strong international encryption!

Nissen, Walter wnissen at resumix.com
Mon Jul 20 11:20:48 EDT 1998

We also have to remember that d.net is growing at a rate which will
outstrip most other efforts. If we really are going to be 2.6 times
faster when each new DES contest starts, EFF will have to spend a lot of
money to beat that growth rate, seeing as they only grow linearly. Of
course, they have the advantage of 100% "participation," but we have
exponentiation on our side. EFF quoted US$50,000 to build another DES
cracker system, now that the research has been done, but imagine how
much general-purpose idle time that would buy if it were turned into ads
for d.net.

Walt Nissen

Walter_Nissen at hmc dot edu