[RC5] APM and keyrates and linux

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Mon Jul 20 13:53:44 EDT 1998

'N. Hailey' said previously:

| ok, I'm running Linux and have a p2L97 Asus mb with a pII 233,
| it is cool and grovey untill it goes into powersave mode(which I want it
| to do, ie power low the HDs and the Monitor when I'm not home during the
| day as I keep the box up 24-7).

Powering down the HD and monitor should not affect keyrate (except
slightly if the disk needs to spin up to feed the client a block).
Powering down or slowing down the CPU to save power ("sleep mode")
*will* slow down the client.

Usually, you can achieve montior power-down w/out APM support (VESA
blanking modes are separate from APM BIOS issues.)  My X server is set
to invoke standby, sleep, and power-off modes on my monitor
automagically without any other APM support compiled in.

Try compiling a kernel w/out APM support and see what happens.

Regards,

--Joe

--
  +------- Joseph Zbiciak ------+
  |- - - j-zbiciak1 at ti.com - - -|  "The truth of a proposition has nothing
  | -Texas Instruments, Dallas- |   to do with its credibility.
  |- - #include <disclaim.h> - -|   And vice versa."       -- Lazarus Long

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net