[RC5] We need strong international encryption!

Christopher Hodson (Consultant) cmh at fpk.hp.com
Mon Jul 20 15:12:11 EDT 1998

Roy Wilson wrote:

>         I've got to keep wondering if there's a hardware shortcut to
> breaking PGP.  The feds make too much noise about how it's "too secure",
> that leads me to believe it's disinformation, and they've got a way of
> busting it near enough to instantly.

The internal part of a PGP encrypted message uses one of three
algorithms.  One of these is Triple DES, which is approximately 120
bits.  If Deep Crack can do 40 bits in 5 days on average (50% of
keyspace), it would take about 5*2^80 days on average
(6044629098073145873530880 days).  And I'm not positive, but I think the
other two algorithms are stronger and used by default.  And this is to
crack a single message, not the actual PGP private key.
--
Christopher M. Hodson
System Admin (Consultant)
cmh at fpk.hp.com