[RC5] We need strong international encryption!

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Mon Jul 20 19:27:51 EDT 1998

There has already been publications on how to crack pgp (yes, getting the
private keys) If you'll recall, Phil Zimmerman (the creator of pgp) was
held in prison on trumped up charges for refusing to come up with a way to
crack pgp by the u.s. government (this is the whole reason he released the
source for it in the first place) There was an article in Science News
about a timing attack method that involved watching how long it took to
decode a given message then applying that knowledge to finding the private
key.  (it was required that the timing be used on several different
messages, though no definite number was given) This timing attack was
successfully used to find a private key of a test machine.  The day after
this article appeared in Science News, Phil was released from prison, and
all charges against him were dropped.  (coincidence? I think not)

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net