[RC5] [ADMIN] DES-II-2 is over...

Tim Philp tphilp at bfree.on.ca
Sat Jul 25 02:09:58 EDT 1998

At 05:05 PM 7/22/98 -0400, you wrote:

>One of the most overblown "security" issues of the past few years
>involve the potential pilfering of credit card numbers over the
>internet.  There are *much* easier ways of getting them.

I agree 100%. If someone gets my credit card numbers and maxes the card, it
is only an inconvenience for me until I get the account straightened out.
It is a major loss for the merchant who accepts my number and bills the card.
All I have to say is " show me the signed credit slip" When they can't
produce one, the merchant is responsible for the charges, not the cardholder.
It is a non-issue.

Tim Philp

Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
the saddest are these: