[RC5] DES-II-2 Completion

Robert Butler rkbutler at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 21 21:28:00 EDT 1998

Not wanting to beat a dead horse, I think it would have been very
interesting for us to have continued the work on DES II-2 until we found
the correct key.  I realize that the work would have been done for
nothing more than academic curiosity, but I think it would be valuable
information to know; 1) How long it takes us to "Ramp Up" to full speed
on DES contests; 2) How many clients do not switch over for various
reasons; 3) Ensure that D.net's proxies and master keyserver could
sustain a full load; and 4) How long it would have taken us anyway.

   I think we stopped to soon to gain some fairly valuable information.
Also, while EFF made a very strong statement with Deep Crack, we would
have reinforced that statement within a very few days by successfully
finding the same key.  We very easily could have been within 12 hours of
finding the key.

   Even without the prize money, isn't the data we could have gained by
completing DES-II-2 worth it?  Especially in light of us doing only an
average of 0.00584%/day on RC5-64.

Rob Butler

(Or, as may be the case, I'm an insane idiot who has no idea what is
happening...)
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net