[RC5] What kind of technology are you using ?????

Chris Eaton tridus at inforamp.net
Sun Jul 26 00:44:04 EDT 1998

At 03:03 AM 21/07/98 , you wrote:
>Hello guys,
>
>I've been on the contest for about 5 days now.
>The reason for e-mailing the list is that I would
>like to know what it takes to produce key rates
>like those seen at the top of the Top-100 list....

Umm, lots. :)

>I use several multiprocessor Unix boxes (3 of them
>have 10 CPUs each) but still I can't do anything better
>than :
>
>   Overall Rate: 1716.56 kkeys/sec

What kind of cpu's are these? It makes a really huge difference. A dual PII
300
can get a keyrate like that, but different architectures get very different
results.

>as shown in the stats page.
>
>I have confidence on the machines I use. They are used for
>parallel code execution and benchmarking and have proved
>*really* effective and fast so far. In total there are
>35 - 40 CPUs working on the problem. Do you think that
>the key rate produced is reasonable ?

It depends on the cpu's and the load on the machines. Its quiet possible that
it is reasonable.

--
"A gentile kind of wonderful,
the sweetest days are always full,